Friday, October 24, 2014

Natacha “Slappy” Nattova, at the Palladium, 1925: “They object to my attractiveness”

From the Adelaide Mail, Jun 20 1925:
Lorna & Toots Pounds
LONDON, today. 
¶   The difficulty of keeping the peace among highly-strung artistes has been demonstrated at the London Palladium, where the Pounds sisters are strong favorites in the new spectacular successful revue, “Sky High.” 
¶   The famous Russian dancer, Nattova, walked out of the theatre after slapping the face of Toots Pounds. The trouble, of which jealousy is the basis, was simmering for several days.  
¶   Nattova says that the Pounds sisters, who are Australian girls, persistently annoyed her. “They object to my attractiveness, my dresses, and the length of my turn,” said Nattova, “and complained of my doing exercises in the wings. Therefore, I am ordered to remain in my dressing room, until the curtain goes up, with the result that I lost myself in the darkness and arrived late. I refused to perform the next evening, and, coming off, Toots gives me a hard push. I am much annoyed, and slap her face. Thereafter the sisters are much frightened, and place a great big man at the door of their dressing-room, who accompanies them to the stage. Fancy the big strong Lorna being frightened of little me. [It is] dreadful for an artiste to try to work under such conditions. I am going for a holiday, and will then enter a new London show.”  
¶   Lorna Pounds says she cannot explain the unpleasantness. “We have been most kind to Nattova,” she declared. “Coming as a stranger, she thought she had made a greater success than actually she had done. She threatened to mark me for life, and also to lay out Toots. When Toots was going on the stage Nattova said ‘One, two, three,” and kicked Toots, who said, “Don’t, please.” Nattova slapped her face, and then hit Toots with a basket. Toots was carried dazed into the dressing-room and she is now in bed with nervous shock. 
The Vaudeville News, Jul 17, 1925
     An aftermath of the trouble at the Palladium between Lorna and Toots Pounds and Mlle. Nattova is the announcement that Nattova and Myrio (her Russian dancing partner) are booked for the Piccadilly Hotel Revels during August. 
The Vaudeville News, Aug 21, 1925
     Nattova & Myrio, the Russian dancers, who were in the Palladium review “Sky High,” join the “Piccadilly Revels” next week at a reputed salary of £200 per week. The got £80 at the Palladium.
From June 2 until Sept 5 (1925), “Nattova and Myrio” appeared in “Cleopatra,” at Daly’s Theatre, London

Toots & Lorna

No comments:

Post a Comment